The Community 5 with Sonya Richins
- Do something. “Ignorance isn’t bliss, it’s just ignorance,” says Sonya Richins, president of Reinfree.org Inc located in Salt Lake City and executive producer of the movie Mestengo. Becoming aware and doing something is bliss. Robert Byrne said, “The purpose of life is a life of purpose.”
- Find your passion and be the voice for that passion. Even if it is sunflowers, every voice counts. Being passionate about something brings energy and joy to your life. Other people will see the change and want to know what your secret is.
- Bring something positive into every day. Call the manager or send a letter to a company of someone who did a good job. Smile at people you meet on the street. Be pleasant and courteous to the cashier at the store.
- Be a conscious consumer. Know what you are supporting when you but something. Buy local and support smaller farms and businesses. Look for products that are packaged with post-consumer recycled materials.
- Spread the love. “When you give love out to the Earth, you receive it ten-fold back,” says Sonya, “love shifts the energy of the world.”
The Community 5 are suggestions for you to take action to make your community better. Viewpoints of the individual may not reflect the viewpoints of the organization they volunteer for.
This article was originally published on examiner.com. Links have been updated September 2016.